Wednesday, September 28, 2011

NU 6 by MB What pisses you off at the mall? What do you suggest?

What pisses you off at the mall? What do you suggest?
By R090206


            With the current issue of the shooting at the mall, what really pisses me off right now is the security we have when we enter the mall. I pass by SM Megamall on the way to the office, when I'm having my dinner and on the way home. It really is a hassle when you have to wait in line as the security guards inspect each and every bag of each and every person.

           Personally, I feel that my privacy is being invaded. When I go to the gym and they have to inspect my gym bag, they even have to take out some of my personal items for them to see through. Even the backpack that I bring to the office, I have to open each and every pocket on it. What if I had some personal items on those bags? The security guard may not care, but how about my friend who is with me that now knows I carry this stuff?
           I'm not against inspection if it really helps keep the malls safe. But I think right now, they're overdoing it. It probably is an initial reaction to the shooting a few days ago. I think they're turning people out. I already know some people that would rather go to a separate restaurant than to have their dinner at the mall and lineup for the inspection. Some foreigner guests we have are surprised why the mall thinks it is like a bank or airport due to the level of security.
           The problem right now is how to tighten security and at the same time not inconvenience the mall goers.
            My first suggestion is to have a metal detector in which you could walk-through. These can be found in airports. Of course these things come with a hefty price. To cut the cost, they could put it only on those entrances where there is a lot of traffic. In other entrances, they can have handheld metal detectors in which trained guards can use to inspect the bags without actually taking things out of it. Mall owners can also require high traffic stores to have their own walk-through metal detectors.
           Second would be using dogs. The dogs can sniff out the gunpowder or bombs. The problem with this is it might scare some mall goers as mostly, these dogs are quite frightening.
            Third would be cameras. Mostly, malls already have these cameras but most of the time they're hidden. Some of these cameras need to be seen by people so that it will discourage them for any wrongdoing they might be thinking. Some cameras don't even need to work full time but their presence alone helps.

As an entrepreneur, we could come up with ideas based on the suggestions. First idea would be to think of a way to produce the metal detectors or x-rays. If someone could create a low cost product that fits this description, I think he would be a market leader in this industry. As there is a security threat, there is always a demand for the product. Second would be to have training center for dogs or to have them available for security threats. Mostly, canine are from the military but I think there is no law prohibiting private individuals in pursuing this line of work. Lastly, is to pursue a Security Agency which will provide the metal detectors, canine, cameras and others as part of their service.


A part of a skill set of an entrepreneur is turning something negative into positive. Though the event unfortunately caused some death, this can be also viewed as an opportunity if you looked at it in a positive way.