Saturday, April 13, 2013

NU13 (not Graded) JP Molina

Ateneo Innovation and Entrepreneurship "New ideas create more and better new products and services; create more wealth."

Hi sir,



I just want to share my idea. Last saturday I was apprehended by a deputized traffic enforcer for beating the red light. It was a close call and I wanted to argue but that's not really why I'm writing this.


Unfortunately to my surprise, I found my wallet to be missing from my bag. I couldn't give the officer my license because it was in my wallet so what he did was he took my license plate instead. I'm ashamed to admit this but bribing the officer actually came to my mind because I was arguing that the violations cost a total of 1050 (300 for the disregard for traffic light and 750 for driving without a license) while to get the license, I would have to leave work where my salary for the day would be forfeited.


To my surprise, the officer didn't even hint that he wanted a bribe. I salute PNOY for the matuwid na daan's success in this instance but it was really troublesome to leave work just for the plate.


Then it hit me on the Monday after that when I got a ride from Evan Uy (as I didn't want to use a car that has no plate), we thought that the payments for the violations should be possible to be paid online.


This is a win win situation for everyone because:


1) For the taxpayer, it is more convenient because he will no longer have to be absent from work. His conscience would be clearer because the temptation to bribe would be lessened.


2) for the government because as I mentioned, when I thought of the trouble of being absent for a day, I had the desire to bribe. With the added convenience, I think people would be less tempted to bribe. This would also result into more revenues for the government because people would pay directly to the government's bank account (not to the traffic officer in case of bribes)

3) for the government offices, there would be lesser lines in the very crowded city halls. This means less stress for government employees who will have more time to process the more urgent matters of the taxpayers. Plus there is also temptation for corruption and bribes if the offices are crowded and people want to fast track their transactions. Lesser people would mean lesser temptation to bribe in government offices.




Overall, the problem this idea solved is the convenience for the tax payer and the lessening of corruption in our country. I really hope you would post this in your blog and by chance somehow this reaches our government so that they can make changes.



Than you sir!

0 comments: