Saturday, January 14, 2012

NU6 (Idea #6) by TTL, LPC Reg

THE NEW ME (Part 2)
By: TTL

It has been more than a month since I wrote my 1st idea of NU6: The New Me. The idea was to reduce my body mass index (BMI) to 24.3 kg/m2 by December 13, 2011. My Body Mass Index (BMI) last October 31, 2011 was 26.4 kg/m2 (calculated by dividing my weight, 85.4 kg with the squared of my height, 1.80 m) and considered as OVERWEIGHT based on the standard weight status categories associated with BMI ranges for adults shown in the following table.
BMI
Weight Status
Below 18.5
Underweight
18.5 – 24.9
Normal
25.0 – 29.9
Overweight
30.0 and above
Obese

Since October 31, 2011 and up to present, I have decided to change my lifestyle by doing the following:
Ø  Exercise every morning and afternoon
·         Treadmill/Stationary biking for 30 minutes
·         250 Sit-ups
Ø  Low-carbohydrate / high-protein diet
Ø  Active lifestyle (Using the stairs instead of elevator, frequent walking, etc.)
Ø  Daily weight monitoring

After 2½ months of religiously implementing the above activities, my BMI as of January 14, 2012 is 24.0 kg/m2 (equivalent to 7.6 kg weight loss) which exceeds my target BMI (24.3 kg/m2).

The challenge now is how to maintain my BMI. I have this new idea of engaging more to physical activities to keep up my BMI such as (a) play badminton, (b) play bowling and (c) join fun run. I plan to do these activities every Monday afternoon after office hours (except fun run) together with my officemates. My officemates decided also to normalize and maintain their BMI after I shared the success of this program.

It is always great to be physically healthy and influencing other people to do the same just by sharing the success I have earned that it all started with an idea coupled with self-discipline, right attitude and focus.

The greatest wealth is health. 3.5

0 comments: