Thursday, January 19, 2012

Live Curious, Discover; OLO (observe learn observe)

The Ateneo Graduate School of Business Advantage


One of the great things that I learned in the last five years is to live curious (from Discovery channel).  The sense of wonder and exploration must not leave us even at advanced age.   It goes well with Lee Kuan Yew's view (former PM of Singapore) to continue travelling and doing all sorts of things to keep mind sharp to discover new things. Dr Morato in his faculty development lecture for AGSB said OLO:   observe, learn observe.

That is why we encourage our students to ask questions and we try to answer all of them.  One of my greatest fear is when I will not be able to answer their questions.  That gives me creeps and nightmare.  That is why on my part, if I attend a seminar or conference, I ask questions, in public and in private.

However, I learned, as we had briefing for conference to Thailand by early next month, I have warned not to do this anymore.  Reason?   The past team leader censured me for asking questions which he deemed irrelevant, and "did not lead to further discussion" and which the fellows in the school did not look kindly upon.

But this kind of thing will not douse my enthusiasm and make me grow old and conservative.

"New ideas create more and better new products and services; create more wealth."

0 comments: