Tuesday, June 5, 2012

NU12 for May 29, 2012 (KRaval) Night Vision Windshield

Magnifying and Night Vision Windshield
When driving, one always requires a clear vision of the road so s/he may be able to drive well and avoid accidents. In my case, because I have astigmatism, I sometimes find it difficult to drive especially at night. It is oftentimes hard for me to recognize the other cars as well as pedestrians crossing especially those that suddenly appear within my sight. I can't even read plate numbers of the cars near mine. Even at times when I wear my glasses, it is still a challenge for me.

During my drive home last week, I kept thinking about how it would be visually easier for me to drive at night. And so I turn to the first object that I see – my car windshield, that is. Since it's the first thing and the one thing that I have direct visual contact with when driving, I thought maybe if it were modified as if it were my eyeglasses, with the added functionality of a night vision goggles, then perhaps I won't have any more complaints driving at night.

With this "smart" windshield, we can adjust the vision according to the driver's preference and according to how clear the vision is – similar to how an optometrist refracts the eyesight of a patient. There could also be an option to focus on a certain part of the vision which the driver can magnify just so s/he can see it more closely. A more advanced option with the "smart" windshield is the night vision functionality. When traversing a road that is not well-lit or doesn't have street lights at all, the car would have a "lumino-sensor" which detects the (lack of) lights within the external surroundings of the vehicle. If further visual is required, then the windshield would automatically be on its night vision mode, therefore helping the driver see the surroundings amidst the dark or in an area with the lack of proper lighting.  Ultimately, this car modification would be an added safety feature of the vehicle – no more visual "surprises" and drivers would surely enjoy the driving experience because s/he can clearly see what's ahead on the road. 3<Rt has a similar idea>

0 comments: