Thursday, June 21, 2012

NU12 - by CJC - Activity area at the subdivision

NU12 – Week 6
"WHAT PISSES YOU OFF AT THE NEIGHBORHOOD? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?"
Description of my neighbourhood
                I grew up in a village where I only have a few friends because most people my age were either not allowed to go outside of their houses or just doesn't want to make friends. What pisses me off at our neighborhood is the lack of activities where the neighbors are supposed to get to know each other. The only activity I know in the village is the Christmas party every year. Recently, the officers of the subdivision started an annual Halloween Trick or Treat parade but it's open to outsiders. Since my nephews moved to Singapore, we didn't participate with this event anymore.
                A childhood friend once told me that ever since the chapel was built inside the subdivision, the neighbourhood seems to lose its unity forming a group of churchgoers and different groups of people with other religions or simply workaholic people who doesn't have time socializing with others. This is just wrong.
Suggestions
                The village has a nice clubhouse wherein facilities like an activity area, swimming pool, basketball court, playground and tennis court is available to residents and outsiders. What I suggest is to use these facilities for events such as tennis competitions, swimming competitions and the like. Moreover, I would like to suggest having a quarterly or annual Ukay-ukay or Tiangge at the activity area where residents can mingle with others and may also find treasure in other people's junk? Also, a mini night market will liven up the night life in our village featuring homemade delicacies or specialties of each neighbor. Also, how about putting an Ad board where residents who happen to be employers of companies can recruit jobseekers from the interested applicants inside the village.3

Cathleen Jem Caraig

0 comments: