Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NU6 by EV - What Pisses You Off at trhe Neighborhood





I live at San Luis St in SAV6 Paranaque. It is a place where people coming from Las Pinas pass through SAV6 to reach Sucat Road. This is the shortest distance from Las Pinas to Sucat. Our street is a busy street. On top of that there are a lot of unlawful tenants in front of our house. Basically, they took over SAV6.  It had been this way from the start. The tenants grew over time and some of them are officers of SAV6.
What pisses me off at the neighborhood? Every Tuesday at 5am morning, covered court in front of our house would start playing very loud music. It is the start of some routine exercise by seniors. The very loud noise would echo 5 blocks. It will run from 5am to 9am in the morning. The sad thing about it, only a handful of people show up.  I asked our house keeper, why are they doing this?  She said, "it is a local Barangay program." 
Every now and then during Friday nights and Saturday nights, the neighborhood would organize a dance party at the same covered court. They would play very loud music from the time it starts as early as 8pm until the late as 5am. They would play music all night long and sometimes no one attends these events. They are not even part of the village. Just imagine coming home from a tiring work and you will hear these loud noises. It is really irritating. One reason for organizing the parties is to get the young people out of trouble. 
Just writing about this event makes me frustrated. I thought of several solutions to ease up the noise.
Fighting fire with fire. By getting another speaker in front of house and playing very loud music. I remember a saying, "an eye for an eye will make the world blind". Worse is, we could lose our ears due to loud music. vg
Go to Barangay. I can ask the barangay if they can cancel all the events and not allow loud noises in the neighborhood. If that will not work, at least tone down the music.
Invent a noise canceller. I research on canceling noise created by the music. This will take a lot of time and funding. Both of which, I don't have.4
Sabotage the power they are using. I can sabotage the power used by the sound system. If I get caught, I will be in trouble and may go to jail. I may be marked by the neighborhood and keep an eye on me.
I can ask them to reduce the noise levels.  I can just ask them if they can reduce the volume where it will not disturb the whole neighborhood. This may be a hard sell due to the type of people I will be dealing.
After weighing in all my options, there are two candidates I would go for. Talking to them or go to the Barangay. If the first option doesn't work, then I will go to the Barangay. I can ask the Captain to pass an ordinance banning loud noise with the Barangay. According to the Philippine Environment Code Presidential Decree No. 1152 section 5 states, "Appropriate standards for community noise levels shall be established considering, among others, location, zoning and land use classification."
On section 6 of the same decree states, "There shall be established a standard for noise-producing equipment such as construction equipment, transportation equipment, stationary engines, and electrical or electronic equipment and such similar equipment or contrivances. The standard shall set a limit on the acceptable level of noise emitted from a given equipment for the protection of public health and welfare, considering among others, the magnitude and condition of use, the degree of noise reduction achievable through the application of best available technology and the cost of compliance. The installation of any noise-producing equipment shall conform with the requirements of Presidential Decree No. 1096 and other applicable laws as well as their implementing rules and regulations."
We as citizens must know the laws. If we don't speak up, then they will not know. I will tell them, it is disruptive and it affects the health of everyone in the neighborhood. There is a right place and time for this. Residential neighborhood is place where you can relax and retire. 
By R100092



--



0 comments: