Tuesday, February 14, 2012

NU6 ALT, Str Reg

 E-pass and Customer Service at SLEX
Going to work, I always passed by the SLEX. I am also an e-pass user which is under our company account. Last quarter of 2011, I have experienced unexpected queues in the e-pass lane, which is supposed to be not happening. This is because of the on-going testing by MATES (organization handling SLEX operations) on the e-pass readers. During these periods, there were frequent times when the reader can't sense the e-pass and the teller will then have to input the account number when this happens. I myself was not happy because the e-pass lane beats the purpose of convenience and faster way to pass through toll booths. I've read from the newspaper that SLEX is now looking into this situation and they are really experiencing technical problems with these readers. Their Malaysian 3rd party programmers are fixing the situation.
The above experience is just one. As of the moment, I haven't yet experienced the same; maybe the test had gone ok. But there are still those who pissed me in the e-pass lane: those motorists who have low-balances and yet they are still passing through the e-pass lane. It is okay if this would be the first time for the motorist to know that his balance is low but there are those who still pass by the lane without re-charging their tags. I happen to know this from a friend because he says that toll booth personnel will still let you pass but it creates delay because the toll booth operator near the e-pass lane will have to come out from his booth and press something at the keyboard to acknowledge the e-pass with low balance. What happens is that once the tag was re-loaded, all those fees that were transacted during the low balance or zero balance will be deducted from the amount re-loaded on the tag. I just hoped that SLEX management should improve this way of handling low and zero balance tags so that it does not become a routine for them and create inconvenience to fellow motorists.
Another improvement that I want to suggest is that the e-pass lane should also reflect the actual amount of toll fee when approaching a particular exit. In current situation, a "thank you" message appears when you pass by an e-pass lane. What if the reader was somehow defective and overcharged the motorist in that particular exit? This situation is not far from happening because machines are bound to fail or to make errors no matter how careful we are in maintaining these. This is one way of assuring consumers/motorists like that the appropriate amount is being charge, especially in my case in which I can report to our Logistics group should there be cases of overcharging.
I can't help but compare the customer service level between SLEX and NLEX. I have this one experience in NLEX wherein I got a flat tire when I was in Sta. Rita. I never saved that NLEX hotline number in my phone but because of its visibility in the expressway, I was able to memorize it and used to call it so that they can help me with my flat tire. The toll personnel were fast in responding, in less than 10 minutes, they were already starting to replace my flat tire. What is more delighting is that they also suggested a nearby vulcanizing shop and assisted me to get there. Knowing that I'm ready to go, I offered them 2 bags of breads but they declined. What they asked me is to email my feedback of their service to the address that they gave me. That's really superior customer service!!! There were also available telephone booths in case our cellphones had run out of batteries. In SLEX, I don't see it the way NLEX is doing things. I can't judge yet on how fast they could attend to motorists with flat tires because I haven't experience it there yet but what I noticed is there are no phone booths the same as those in NLEX. Hotline numbers are also not that visible. I see a hotline number but it is a cellphone line and very difficult to memorize. I think SLEX should also stick with a 4-digit hotline number. Of course in terms of the kilometer length between NLEX and SLEX, the phone booths and hotline numbers are still important to be installed in the SLEX, given the short distance say from Alabang to Calamba. Emergencies will happen and these are not anticipated. It is important that every expressway, no matter how long or short the travel distance, should have these basic emergency provisions. 3.5

0 comments: