Wednesday, February 1, 2012

NU6 Idea 7 by PC AGSB LPC

For the first time after a long time, I took the bus going to Manila so I can catch my flight to Dumaguete that will fly out of NAIA Terminal 2. It was such a big hassle! I boarded the bus in Balagtas Terminal in Batangas City and got of in Magallanes. Of course there were a bunch of taxicabs waiting to take their prey. They were charging me 350 pesos to bring me to the airport! Since I was not willing to pay for such a sum of money, I hoisted the three big bags that I was bringing and walked up the overpass to go to the other side of Magallanes where there was more automobile traffic. The best deal I got was 200 pesos. Since I was already running late, I took the bait.
This got me thinking again (and airports/airport services are my favorite topics of late), why don't buses (both provincial and metro Manila lines) have a "Biyaheng Airport"? I think the general public will greatly benefit from the convenience that will be brought about by this. Of course the trips will be rationalized because it doesn't make sense to have Airport bound buses plying the roads by the hour. This is a great substitute for a train going ton the airport which is what most countries have (e.g. Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia). And because buses are not available at all hours, people can plan to arrive in the airport earlier than usual which is great for airport-based businesses (restaurants, coffee shops, massage parlors) because people will spend longer times in NAIA, they are bound to get hungry,grow thirsty or become stressed while there hence they will head to the establishments around NAIA. Needless to say, the said establishments will have to be improved but this is another topic on its own.
The bus can be privately or government-operated - it doesn't really matter, as long as the convenience is there! Maybe as a dry run, the trips will just be inbound trips to the airport. If the scheme proves to be logistically manageable and financially feasible, the operator can then expand to include outbound trips to certain city centers (e.g. Ayala Avenue, San Miguel Avenue, Malate etc.).

Sent from my iPad

You are correct.  How I wish that could be done.  But there are buses that pass at EDSA that pass through NAIA 2 via MOA (it takes about an hour?)  You could be a DOTC consultant on airports.

0 comments: