Thursday, July 5, 2012

NU12 by Kristine Raval - improvements on IV therapy

Improvements on the IV (intravenous therapy)

I've been stuck here in the hospital for a week now, and it's been a struggle for me in so many ways, especially in moving around. I know I'm supposed to just stay put and rest, but of course, there are some important movements that I need to do while I'm here – go to the bathroom, eat, change clothes. But these simple things I find difficult now because of the IV that's attached to my hand. For the first few days, the IV was attached to my left hand, but because it was becoming too heavy for my left hand, the nurse had to transfer it to my right hand – my more "workable" hand. The struggle here is that while this IV is attached to me, I have to bring it with me wherever I go, and my movements are limited. I can't even change my clothes without hanging my shirt on the IV pole and be creative about it. I can't eat properly with this tube dangling on my side or sometimes getting in the way of my food.

This personal experience has brought me to thinking that the design of the IV should be revisited. Those in the medical profession or those in the business of manufacturing or distributing the IV should take into consideration the convenience that a patient should be able to feel while in the hospital or while an IV is attached to him/her. For example, the IV could be strapped to the arm or the shoulder while the patient is mobile. The IV, in this case, could be placed in a smaller bag so that the patient's arm or shoulder won't be strained so easily. Another way to improve on the IV is to make it waterproof – or at least it should have a shield from water or any liquid substance while the patient is taking a bath or washing his/her (other) hand. One more way to make the IV convenient for the patient is that it should be easy to detach or that the tube can be easily removed and replaced by the stopper – in cases where the patient really needs to move without that extra weight. The problem here is that some nurses, are too slow to respond to the patient's call, and sometimes it's too late. So with these suggestions in the design of the IV, perhaps some of the struggles of the patient while at the hospital will be reduced. 4 < wow naman;  maski may sakit nagsubmit;  samantalang ang iba maayos ang daming alibi and do not submit.  thanks.>

0 comments: