Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NU12 #5: Height is Might (Height Enhancement) - Ilizarov method

Vian Serranilla
NU12 #5: Height is Might

            I know I've not been the tallest guy in my class, though I'm not the shortest either but I've always been obsessed with getting taller. I know that its almost scientifically improbable for me at my age to gain around 4 inches but is it impossible? With my obsession comes research and I've read tons of articles on how to grow taller even after reaching a certain age. One method was the "Ilizarov" method. This method is more fondly called as "limb lengthening procedure" and has been used both for medical and cosmetic reasons. What they do in a nut shell is to break your bones in the legs so that new bone may form in between the gap that was made. And each day before it completely closes, the twist a medical apparatus so that they may pull apart your legs so that new bone is formed on top of the new bone. After which, you do intensive physical therapy. Oh did I mention you could not walk for at least 6 months? 3
            Another method is microfracture. In a nutshell: When we do sports, our bones break ever so slightly and new bones are formed, but this is so miniscule that it's effects are not felt. What you can do is right after sports, you sit at a bed or something similar but your feet may not touch the ground and you put ankle weights. Crucial part is you must do this right away, before the microfractures heal. The weights help to pull your legs longer so that when the micro fracture heals, new bones are formed.
            What if medically, these two are combined. A machine is made to create microfractures in your legs and then for a long amount of time, you let these microfractures heal, you do this at least 4 times a week and you get a little bit taller. I wouldn't care if I have to wait 8 months to get an inch taller if it's painless but time consuming, I certainly would go for it.
            I know that I'm not the only person who wants to grow taller hence if this was funded and actually worked, this would be a very lucrative business.


0 comments: