Wednesday, April 11, 2012

NU 12 by Michael Ligayo - Various Ideas

Prof. Jorge,

Below are the new ideas for this week.

Regards,
Michael Ligayo

--------------------

New Attitude / Paradigm
 
Serving the World's Poor
 
My first entry to this list might not be entirely new to especially to the business community. With all the fuzz and advertising of what is known as Corporate Social Responsibility, it is highly possible that in one or two occasions this idea have passed through. However, I still chose to include it on this list since it is still something new to me (I only got to know about this last term) and I think it might be worthwhile for other business students like me to get to know about this idea. We might all benefit from it.
 
In summary, this idea simply tells us that the markets at the bottom of the economic pyramid are fundamentally new sources of growth for multinationals and because these markets are in the earliest stages, growth can be extremely rapid. The Harvard Business Review has a very good article on this entitled, Serving the World's Poor, Profitability by C. K. Prahalad and Allen Hammond. < what is your take?
 
 
25 Ways to Distinguish Yourself
 
In today's labor market, it is very much important that one individual has more than what it takes make it. Education, even a Master's Degree, is so accessible that it is no longer a big difference if you have one. This makes it a lot more difficult for individual like me to make it to the big world. However, there are a lot of self-help books and presentation materials that can help us. I came across this slideshare presentation stating the "25 Ways to Distinguish Yourself". I am guessing that this article was created before 2010 but I think it is still very much applicable. This is for the simple reason that it targets attitude more than anything.
  x < what will you adapt?  what are you going to own>
 
New Spending Habits / Routine
 
9 Ways To Personal Financial Freedom by Suze Ormon
 
"I am never good at saving" is probably an understatement as to how poorly I manage my finances. Since 2010 I have been on the lookout for new and potentially easy ways for me to handle my finances. However, I always stumble into those concepts of investing and putting your money here and there. But the question is, what if you don't have the means to invest yet? What if you do want to get to a point first where you are financially free?
 
It was a good thing that I came across Suze Ormon. She makes the discussion on money and financial management as easy as A-B-C using layman's terms. More importantly, she combines finances with spirituality and your relationships to family, friends and God. This is most especially highlighted in her latest book – 9 Ways To Personal Financial Freedom. The links below gives an overview of the book and an overview of each step defined by Suze. < no ownership>
 
 
What pisses you off at AGSB? What must be done?
 
There are quite a few things that I would say "disturbs" me at AGSB. Here they are:
1.     There are issues on facilities. Some proofs of this problem are: (a) smelly restrooms, (b) dark hallways especially at the Salcedo campus, (c) dirty widow ledges and (d) not well-maintained canteen.
2.     Exorbitant fees. Examples are: (a) P200 if you forget your ID, (b) parking fee, (c) internet fee despite being slow and cannot be accessed properly at the Salcedo campus.
3.     Overall enrollment method. Some of the problems are: (a) records kept on being bugged and (b) personnel from the registrar are not available at 8am when the bulk of the registration happens.
4.     Students can also be a source of problem. For example, (a) there are students who do not pay attention to lectures rather keep on opening their Facebook, (b) there are students who keep on insisting on ideas that, quite frankly, do not even contribute to the lecture and (c) there are students who enrolled not for the learning but the degree. (I guess this is something that cannot be solved by Ateneo.)
5.     In terms of the curriculum, my main issue would be on the Electives. There are about 30++ choices of Elective subjects but only a handful is being offered. The minimum number of students has to be achieved in order to have one subject offered. This is a problem because not all of the Electives can achieve such a number.
 
I am very sure that there are other things that students complain about. However, as my #6 and probably the one thing that Ateneo needs to address first is:
 
6.     Over the last terms that I am with Ateneo, not much has changed about these concerns. The same issues / problems still plague the school.
 
However, I think as a first step to resolving these, the school should provide a venue for students to air their concerns. For example, as of now, only professors are being evaluated on a regular basis. Why not do the same for other factors that affect the students' learning environment? 3





0 comments: