Sunday, April 15, 2012

NU 12 KC- What pisses you off at the School

Hi Sir,

Below is my 2nd NU 12 blog.

Thank you!


KLC
ENTREP
NU 12: What pisses you off at AGSB?  What must be done?
DISCLAIMER: I’m writing this blog while I’m hungry; hence, I must be delusional.  These are just my opinions. J

It’s April 2012.  Vacation time for most students and summer time fun for almost everyone.  It’s the crucial week after holy week when people just look forward to taking a break or traveling to combat the rising heat in the metro.  For most Ateneo MBA students though, this period is called third trimester of the school year.  While my father and siblings are out playing golf and my mother is maximizing the capacity of a beauty parlor, here I am at home typing a paper for school while sipping a cup of white coffee and chewing on a banana muffin.  Not a bad way to end my Saturday.

Everyone seems to be in “chillax” mode these days except for the MBA students and professors.  I have always taken Saturday classes and this is the first semester where I only took weekday classes.  Previously, I could afford to go out to have lunch or dinner in Powerplant Mall because of the flexibility of a Saturday schedule.  On weekdays however, I could only rely on our cafeteria to satisfy my hunger.  For the last few weeks, I have noticed a decrease in the amount of food being served.  The alternate food stalls are also closed.  This did not happen last semester where we could still ponder on the food choices in the cafeteria even up to before 9 pm.

This Saturday morning, the amount of food being served is back to normal but several alternate food stalls remained closed.  I went up to San Francisco Coffee to get my fix of their hot chocolate which I do every Saturday, and this time they are also closed.  I started to think if these actions were caused by the summer break of the Law School students.

For three weeks now, I have also noticed regular church goers in the Ateneo Professional Schools Chapel being informed by our security personnel that there are no masses because of the summer break.  “We in AGSB are not in summer break”, I told myself.  If food supply is being decreased due to an expected decrease in population of students within the building for the next few months, I would understand but not without shaking my head in disbelief.  However, if other functions within school also have to cease because of this, I don’t think this is acceptable—especially if we are talking about religious obligations.  We also had college summer breaks in Ateneo in Loyola Heights and the population also decreased, but other units did not stop functioning.

I was browsing through Facebook last night when I saw one of my classmate’s status messages: “wala pa ring grade sa _______. Huhu”.  I checked my AGSB account and realized all my subjects last semester have no grades yet.  I just had a final paper defense earlier this morning, so I would understand the state of my subjects.  I don’t understand though why we don’t have grades in other subjects where the requirements have been completed one week prior to finals week.  I have no personal problems on this since I pay for my own tuition but I have classmates who need to get their grades for a reimbursement from their company.  I see some of my professors around school but I also know some who are outside the country and then I get reminded again—ah, it is summer break.

Why do we have to stop moving because others have also stopped?

If we are all on summer mode, can I now wear flip flops to school?

I must be overreacting but I think the regular activities in school should not halt just because another function has halted.  The AGSB population continues to be in motion throughout the entire calendar year and we all need the school management’s support for the entire year as well.  The food should continue to flow, masses should continue to take place and professors should still be present for us to confirm the results of the past semester’s hard work.  I think we can all agree on these.  If there will be changes because of the summer culture, then even those who are in school should enjoy the summer experience with a few lenient changes on their own.  It’s hard to stop when you are on a momentum, but even harder to recover when you lose that momentum.

I’m still looking forward to my next weekday class and hope that the milk tea stall is open again. 3

<We cook our own food, or buy elsewhere, why dont we appoint a committee or a group to handle the class food requirements, or order food? Let us focus on solutions, that we could do
 and not rely on the leadership. That would have made the grade of this submission higher.

<  I submit my grades at once but there seems to be an IT infrastructue problem at the school.>

Regards,
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


\

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you may have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete the copy you received. In addition, if you are not the intended recipient, you should not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information contained in this communication. Thank you.


2 comments:

jorge saguinsin said...

This is a very popular post. Maraming nagbasa. Pinakamaraming nagbasa.

jorge saguinsin said...

This is a more popular post than the passion of Jesus Christ video which I posted/linked from You Tube. Maybe some AdeMU AGSB higher ups read this or hear your complaints and act on it. In the meantime this is a learning experience; not every organization is perfect when it comes to execution, or how they can be faithful to their vision, mission and prescribed processes. And Sentrep students must be keenly aware of this problem which they must address hard when they put up their own enterprises.

As of now, somebody is out to screw your beloved enterprise.