Monday, April 23, 2012

NU1 12 by ED - Safety D00rs

Edwin T. Dueñas                                                                                                        NU12 Week 3
New Business Idea: Safety Doors in Condominiums
It can be observed that there are a booming number of condominiums in the Philippines. In the past, it was only concentrated in Metro Manila but now there are many developers which builds in other places outside Metro like in Tagaytay, Batangas, Bataan and even in Rizal. Based on my research, in the year 2010 there are already 189 "major condominium brands" in the country and possibly this number will increase in the future. It doesn't mean that one condominium brand has only one building. Usually there are two or three towers in each brand. An example of this is the SMDC Grass Residences located in North Edsa , Quezon City which will have three buildings, each at 20 stories tall.
        
The increase number of development of condominiums means that there is a relative increase in demand in this industry. Therefore the question arises, why Filipinos do prefer to own a condominium. I believed that this is something to do with a reduction of cost compared to houses, of course there are luxury condominiums which are more expensive than a house but generally it is faster to own a condo than a house especially if you are in a prime location where land properties is expensive. One of the greatest advantages of having a condo is that maintenance is very minimal. This means that you don't have to water your garden, clean a two to three story house every day, it is not also necessary to repaint the house etc. etc… Living in a condominium means being practical and a reduction in space means reduction in cost. Some also treats buying a condo an investment and for rental business. One of the perceived downsides of owning a condo is the homeowner's association fees but in reality this fee is the same amount which we spend to maintain a house and its dues in a village.
As I established the demand for a condominium in the Philippines, I realized that there are businesses opportunities that can be capitalize in this industry. Safety is one of the prime concerns of unit owners. There are lots of incidents in the past that are well documented were killers, robbers were able to easily enter the condominium unit of the victim. I realized that although there are security guards that are stationed in the building it is not enough to secure all the units. An example of this is that when I visited the condo of our family friend, in the lobby the guard asks me who I was looking and what is the unit number. Then I filled up a log sheet then he instructed me to go upstairs via the elevator. What was lacking? The guard didn't even verify my identity thru submission of an ID; he didn't even call my friend if I can be permitted to go upstairs. This condo is located in the Fort and is a prime condominium. If I have bad intentions I can easily deliver my plan to the unit owner.
The business opportunity that I have thought is installing a SAFETY DOOR in each unit. This would serve as a double door therefore, before someone who has wicked intentions can enter the unit he is restricted by a second door.  How would I go about this? I will get suppliers in China for stainless steel and other requirements and import it in the Philippines and have someone who is knowledgeable to install it. Marketing will play a major role as this can succeed if it will be package as a need more than a want for unit owners. You can just imagine the number of prospective clients if this project will materialize. You can observe that in some business establishments or apartments there are somewhat doors or steel bars that has a similar function. The problem is that the design of these is not pleasing to the eyes and condo unit owners don't like that. Living in a condo means luxury in its own definition and this may decrease the design or interiors of the unit. What I'm planning is that I will have customized design that will complement the interior design of the unit. In this way both safety and aesthetics is being address. 4

0 comments: