Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NU12 #1, New attitude/paradigm - Camille A. Dela Cruz

Ateneo Innovation and Entrepreneurship "New ideas create more and better new products and services; create more wealth."

ENTREP S20
Mr. Jorge Saguinsin
NU 12 Week 1 – New Attitude/Paradigm
 
Camille A. Dela Cruz

 
Recently about two weeks ago, I went to join my barkada to Anilao Batangas for a celebration/party. At first, I strongly hesitated to go because I did not want to stay up too late at night partying and drinking because I felt that I would rather rest and spend time with my family. Because of my indecisiveness and peer pressure from some of my friends, I decided to go.
 
After the whole Anilao experienced I had several regrets and ultimate realization. First, I regretted going because I wasted my time partying all night. Second, I was disappointed at myself for succumbing to peer pressure by drinking a few bottles of beer or taking at least three shots even if I didn’t want to. I had so much regrets and I asked myself why I was feeling that way… then I stumbled upon the biggest realization – it wasn’t the partying and the having fun I hated or had a resentment on but It was more of realizing that I have changed. I recognized that I was unhappy of the trip because I have matured and that I have moved on from that kind of phase and living. I felt so happy because for the first time in my life I have accepted the fact that I am journeying through a new phase in my life, that I was eventually moving forward and that I should be experiencing far more important things that life has to offer. I was very much in denial of what I was going through for months now but because of that trip I became more aware of the changes that was happening to me.
 
I know that many of my friends are not happy with the change I am going through and if it were the old me I would try to adjust for my friends and tweak my personality for them. However in the Anilao experienced, I was able to discover a crucial learning that will help me own the change I am going through. This learning is a new kind of attitude/paradigm that I so much willing to possess – Stop living my life their way. Over the years, I have patterned my life on how my friends would want it to be and in that course I lost myself completely. My priorities were set aside and my wants were placed at the least concerned, I was literally living someone else’s life or may I say my friends life. I don’t blame them for that because it was a choice I made for myself. Right now, I am happy with the new paradigm I have discovered and for the two weeks after the Anilao trip, I have been extremely trying my best to apply this paradigm in my life. For example, I learned to actually say no on events that will be happening in the next coming days. I’m also giving more focus and time on my own priorities like actually allocating more occasions for school and work rather than on gimiks and parties. I created my goals for the next five years and came up with strategies and action plans I plan to focus on to achieve my objectives and met the expectations for myself. It really felt good because for the first time I learned to take care of myself and that I was really happy.

0 comments: