Wednesday, March 20, 2013

NU12# 9 Molina, Jose Paolo - Standardized car horn sounds

Ateneo Innovation and Entrepreneurship "New ideas create more and better new products and services; create more wealth."

Standardized Car Horns


Horns have different sounds. For trucks you would expect a very low loud sound while in cars you would often hear a thinner more ear friendly sound.
But when a car honks, it just means that you have to pay attention to that car because he could be asking you to move, or he might be warning you that he’s going to pass. There are even times that it’s a sign of emergency.  

I’ve even experienced a car behind me frantically honking and I thought it was an emergency so I let the car pass. When the car was beside me, its window opened and the driver pointed to my tires. I had a flat tire!
This is another idea I get during driving. Honking horns can be a source of miscommunication and sometimes even road fights.
Some people use horns to greet other motorists while some use it to express anger. Other drivers just simply appreciate beautiful girls passing by and wants that girl to notice them.
I think there should be a standard horn for general everyday expressions for drivers.
Example: a light sounding horn should mean a greeting like ‘hi’, ‘hello’, or ‘good morning’. While a low sounding horn (like in buses) could mean ‘get out of the way you moron’.
It could be also like a Morse code for cars only with limited meaning.
This horns should be built into all cars so that everyone would be standardized. This will enable drivers to express clearly their intent in honking horns and therefore we would avoid a lot of miscommunication. 4

0 comments: